Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Birth of a Passion I


Graphic Design.
I am a closet graphic designer. Like a closet gay, I will not confess. 
I fear being rejected for I am not trained. I stand in the midst of designers and their designs with awe and envy. The clever ever flowing creativity, wondering to myself, where did it all come from. how how how do they do it?

I wish I have realised it earlier, this burning inside, deep deep within. I search to see if there were any signs of this passion during my childhood days. How did graphic design burn such a mark into me.

When i first learnt to ask what's my dad's occupation, he told me he is a graphic technician. I was only 8 maybe. I don't know what that means then.  Everyday is haphazard but Saturday is bookshop day for him. He would hang out in Shanghai Bookstore and Commercial Book store just chatting for hours with his friends. It was a weekly gathering. I followed him every now and then. While they are chatting, I would sit in a corner either listening to them talk or run off to the children books section to look at books.I must admit its more the layout, pictures and colour which captivated me than the actual stories. Weeks after weeks, months after months, years after years.

I developed a passion, almost undying love for designs when creativity, words, colours, pictures comes together, crossing all media platforms. the colours,the colours of the photos, the size of the fonts, the space between the words, tells little little stories like human 's body language.
So much is said even before you speak. So fascinating. 

I am afraid to step out of my closet. I love it so much that I fear if truly one day if I become one who design I would resent this love of my. what a dilemma.  Patience, no hurry, no hurry cos I am half way there. with a little coaching, a little inspiring, a little practice i may just be able to make it one day.

The thought I would like to share is when you are lost, backtrack backtrack, trace back the steps from which you came from. Find that little something that bring that smile, make your stomach weak. Find that burning passion whether is sewing, photography, listening to bird sings, riding on a motobike, cooking, talking to old folks, nursing the sick, exercising, drawing, politics, fashion, dancing.... embrace that cos that's where you find your soul.

  
p.s The other passion: Singing (another day).

2 comments:

Dorabie said...

wah lau where did u find tat picture. I used to play tat as well. Damn happening. It was like our mac book those days man...hahaha.. This is a good post. Keep it going!

diane said...

thanks. I award you the Biggest Fan Award.
thanks for reading my blog.