Thursday, March 19, 2009

Uncle Lee Uncle Lee

It is my routine to read asiaone.com. it keeps me in touch with the latest news mainly from Singapore and Malaysia. The website features important world news to the most sensational news gossips. Just how a Singaporean living in Malaysia likes it.
I came across this article on Minster Mentor Mr. Lee Kwan Yew saying to "Exhort Chinese Parents in Singapore". I reacted very strongly, mixed feelings overwhelmed me. 
I think to myself such a hypocrite and so very ironic.
EXHORT in 2009? My mother went to a chinese high school in Singapore during the 50s. 
That's the time when Singapore just gained its independence, when the british left and when Mr Lee Kwan Yew was trying to gain popularity among the grassroots population. PAP (people action party) Capital P.. for Propoganda. Cannot blame them cos a lot of population are hard labourers with little education and low income. The Nation needed moulding, reshaping and alot needed to be done. 
My mother together with her group of friends speak Mandarin and write perfect chinese. But as the nation grew there was little opportunities for them. Everyone who tried to "Internationalise" their businesses, wanted someone who can speak English. Being multi-racial, English became the common language for the nation.
The English Ed became the Elite and Chinese Ed became the rejects. 
School Subjects are all in English , Chinese Schools are only by name but not by practice. 
I had one Chinese class it was compulsory subject, you have to pass it. 
Mandarin is my mother tougue, my English is horrendous may still be.. in fact i used to be too shy to even speak English cos people would laugh at my grammar. 
Times are different. Now China have become the big world economy player, it is acceptable to speak Mandarin and know Chinese again.    
I realised as a byproduct of my nations policies, i became a biligual. fluent in both English and Mandarin. unlike some of my Geng Geng Singaporeans I am the puah tang zui (water half filled)
I am neither very good in my English or my Chinese. the sad thing is I cannot write Chinese without auto spell and i struggle to read Chinese books or papers. 
Uncle lee what have you done Uncle Lee. 
For the longest time, my mother felt she is below par becos she cannot speak English. 
A lot of her friends shares the same sentiments. 
Exhort them then exhort them now. 
Exhort the ones who brave being ostracize for having more than 2 children during your 70's birth control campaign, for it is their children who works the fields of your nation today. 
Exhort them then exhort them now
Exhort them who embraced creativity who think Art is more than Science, for it is them who breathe lives to the lifeless souls in the nation.
Exhort them then exhort them now
Exhort those who speak their minds, rebel against the norms, break the barriers, for it is them who give a voice to the new generation.
I exhort you Uncle Lee then and I Exhort you now. 
You will forever be my hero, for it is you who made Singapore what it is and gave me a place which I call home. 
but look at all of us closely with more hearts and less minds for we are the sons and daughters of your land.

2 comments:

Dorabie said...

wah! I think this is your longest blog so far. Is it the influence of the long winded Dora? hahahah..I am speechless when i read the post. But its a good one. U need to write more of this kinda blog to inspire us. :)Simply Love it.

diane said...

go to sleep lah.. I am becoming an insommia blogger.. bugger.. shit man ..