Saturday, April 11, 2009

beetle



Mr and Mrs Chan live next door.
I arrived in Petaling Jaya in 1995. Mr and Mrs Chan are our neighbours. This elderly couple who were in their late 60s or perhaps early 70s has 3 children.Only one of them lives with them. I used to watch them becos there is no wall between our houses. 
They were just divided by a mesh wire fence. From what i observed, they lived fairly routined lives. Every morning I would see them drive out somewhere in their vintage white VW beetle. My husband was very fond of the VW Beetle and used to tell me that if only Mr Chan would sell his beetle, he would buy it in a blink of an eye. They never did.. it was their prize possession. I watched them drive around in it for over a decade. Now long ago to my surprise, I saw Mr and Mrs Chan driving out in a new perodua kelisa. As for the beetle, it just sat quietly in their garden. 
and in recent months, I stopped seeing Mr and Mrs Chan. I wonder where have they gone, and felt kinda sad that those familiar faces are not around. and their house looked deserted. The beetle that once carried them around is also found deserted at the side of the road. I woke up this morning to a loud uncomfortable sound. when i looked out, this is what I saw. 
Goodbye the friendly neighbourhood VW beetle. You did well. I will remember you..as you once faithfully accompanied your beloved owners and brought them safely to many places. I envy you as you would have learnt from Mr and Mrs Chan, what is love, what it meant to honour marriage vows and remain steadfast in this journey call life.  


5 comments:

Dorabie said...

oh man...this is a very sad entry. Why did they remove the car?? Sigh...i think hor...something happened man. But i don't wanna say lah. Hey then again... i suspect that they might wanna sell the house. So keep an eye for it ok?

diane said...

Its funny, that things are like extensions of the owners. Especially if you are the kind who doesn;t change things so often.10 to 20 years they kept this car.. now the owners are sick. Mrs Chan is in Singapore sicking treatment for her illness.
I think a part of them died when they stopped using the beetle. Feel very sad today. Though it just the car, but it really felt like a funeral procession. oh man.

Dorabie said...

ya i feel exactly the same too man...the picture you took its really sad. No wonder you had a bad morning face today...:_( i feel like crying again...

diane said...

Sorry..

raymundo de amundo said...

rainy weather does makes one melancholic..