Tuesday, April 28, 2009

what if there's really nothing.

I showed my mom my photos. She looks at some very careful. She skipped a few. She laughed at a few. In the end she chose a few to keep. I was so happy. Mom being mom. 

Then I waited. I showed my dad my photos. Its the equivalent to submitting your painting to AWS. All excited .. hopeful that maybe I would score this round. He is a tough judge hard to please. If he said nice, I know I would have been qualified. Made it! 

He run through them .. 10s, 20s, 30s.. spending less than secs at each. Some of them are facing him in the wrong direction.. but it wasn't interesting enough for him to even take that extra sec to turn them around to look again. He stopped at a few asking me where were they taken, but those were not my proudest. .. I asked him if he knew the orientation of my photos. He quickly demonstrated he knew and continued skimming them. I wished I never had shown him.

I felt like a 6 year old..that moment. I didn;t feel I had the courage to defend my works. 
nothing could have consoled me.

He later told me .. he felt I had 'nothing' in the photos as in everything was of equal emphasis so the audience didn't know what to look at.. He said I was just shooting what i liked.. for myself.

That's so partly true.. what's so special to me has been shared to others. I hope to bring that same fascination I have with them to others too, especially my loved ones.

But I walked away asking myself... seriously what if there's really nothing.. nothing there worth sharing. 

p.s. for those of you who kept my photos. Thank you. Thank you very much. 

4 comments:

Dorabie said...

hey, don't be discourage but papa being papa...i am pretty used to his comment since i was 6yrs old. Every painting i used to paint and no matter how much effort i have put in, he will have a say to it. Some time just correct even without even saying what is wrong with it. So sad man. Sigh... Please don't let the SUN go down on you. Be firm of wat you can do and just keep running. DON'T STOP!!

raymundo de amundo said...

art is subjective. not everyone will see it as you would.

you do what you like and if it clicks with the audience then, great. if not, too bad.

for every nay-sayer, there's a aye-sayer. continue to do what you like...that's the way it should be.

if you change to suit the audience then, it is no longer what you like but, what they like..then, what's the point???

tyan said...

just be urself sis, this is the only unique of everyone of us to be different especially wanna be outstanding among the others... carry on ur creative...u r on the track...moving n moving...sun is there for u...i trust with it, so do u @@)

greenhoihoi said...

What about me? i want to see those photos woh.

eh... different school of thoughts la... your papa's art n your art. one modern art, one post modern.

my mom can draw v well. self taught. i used to think she is a great artist. one day i showed her my work. she couldn't make anything out of it. then i realised i have progressed so far ahead in terms of art appreciation. and i know the big gap of what we know about arts.